Thursday, May 26, 2016

Spring Gardening 2016 Post #3 Planting Tomatoes

Tomatoes are one of the most popular edibles gardeners plant, so I do. I love cooking with them and who doesn't love a tomato sandwich with good old mayo.....delicious.

Like all other plants they have their challenges, here are some facts that will hopefully help. 

First, they don't really like full sun, especially here in the high desert heat of Northern Nevada. It is not only hot but windy, and that adds to the need for afternoon shade.

Second, watering can be a big issue. Ever have splits in your tomatoes, that is from watering. Like a few other plants tomatoes will take all the water they get and take it to the end splitting any fruit at the end. As the weather warms up watering every 12 hours will help with splitting issues.

Third, feed them regularly with plenty or organic materials. The photos here show my soils as I add amendments, I used worm casting and Amend from Kellogg's Garden Soils. I watered it well and let it warm up before planting.



Here are my plants in the ground, but well protected. The weather is not so comfortable so my 5 gallon water jugs with the bottoms cut off work perfectly to keep the safe from cold and winds.





No comments:

Post a Comment